Flawless Skin with At-Home Chemical Peels

Beneath the Make Up: Flawless Skin with At-Home Chemical Peels

Chasing youth is a messy, expensive – and sometimes painful – business.

Fortunately, achieving flawless skin has been exponentially less painful – at least to my budget -since I traded Obagi and in-office chemical peels for ASDM Beverly Hills.

Click here to visit ASDM Beverly Hills

Chemical Peel

ASDM Beverly Hills products in my OTC skincare arsenal: Glycolic acid (30% and 50%), salicylic acid (20%), eye cream, melasma serum, Tepez Cream and Skin Fading Lightening Lotion (not pictured).

I could wax poetic about ASDM’s entire product line (except its eye cream – although more expensive, I prefer and HIGHLY recommend -even to prescription retinol- StriVectin-AR Advanced Retinol Eye Treatment for combating under eye fine lines), but instead will concentrate on its affordable, complete line of professional, low pH, skin chemical peels.

ASDM Beverly Hills offers a complete line of professional, in-office medical grade chemical peels.

I will never again spend $500 on an in-office chemical peel package!

Quick Guide to Chemical Peels
SALICYLIC ACID PEELS
For acne-prone, oily skin. Helps to control sebum production, kill acne causing bacteria and deeply cleanse pores. Produces pseudo-frost and is self-neutralizing.

GLYCOLIC ACID PEELS
Glycolic acid is a naturally occurring fruit acid known as AHA (Alpha Hydroxyl Acids). Glycolic peels help to rejuvenate skin by loosening the bond that holds dead skin cells on the epidermis. This stimulates new growth of skin and removal of old, dead, dull skin. Requires neutralization; I mixed equal parts baking soda and water.

LACTIC ACID PEELS
Gentle, moisturizing peel. Increases collagen production, resurfaces skin, improves skin texture. Reduces the appearance of uneven skin. Varies in its requirement for neutralization.

TCA PEELS
Typically used for more advanced photoaging changes, including wrinkles. Causes visible whitening of the skin, referred to as frosting. Self-neutralizing.
*ASDM does not sell TCA peels; however, I use TCA 15% Gel Peel with Salicylic Acid 5%  and love it! It’s an extremely light peel; however, you can apply several layers to get a deeper peel.  Also, do research further into TCA peels if you decide to go that route; there’s evidence of carcinogenicity in animals.  Glycolic, lactic and salicylic are definitely safer!

My Experience
I initially ordered 50% glycolic acid.  ASDM Beverly Hills accidentally sent me 30%, but corrected the mistake 2 hours after I notified them via email by shipping me a bottle of 50%, and allowing me to keep both.  A+++++ customer service.

I started with the 30% glycolic acid.  I followed the instructions in A Practical Guide to Chemical Peels, Microdermabrasion & Topical Products, then applied ASDM’s Tepez Cream.  A Practical Guide makes the entire process simple and stress free.  READ IT! I’ll even share it with you for FREE! :)

FREE ACCESS TO MY TEXTBOOK

I did not peel the first time, but noticed a marked improvement in my skin.  My skin appeared more even, red marks reduced and my pores were hardly noticeable. You can apply the peel with either a chemical peel fan brush or cotton face pads; I’ve used both.

I peeled slightly after performing a 2nd 30% peel, and peeled heavily after performing the 50% glycolic acid peel.

Although you shouldn’t do more than 1 peel every other week, I’ve been doing 1 a week… I don’t recommend it, unless you don’t mind looking like a crazy red faced snake.

When I performed the 30% peel on my mom and brother’s girlfriend, neither peeled after the 1st round. My brother’s girlfriend peeled after the second.  Both noted extremely smooth skin and smaller pores after the first treatment. You will probably NOT actually peel after 1 treatment. It may take 2-3. However, you’ll notice results immediately.  Remember, results are progressive, so commit to doing a series of 6 peels.

As for the salicylic acid, I don’t have oily skin, so I use the 20% salicylic acid as THE most effective spot treatment whenever I feel a blemish on the horizon!  I’m a picker and use it BEFORE I pick.  It brings all of the gunk to the service, at which time I extract it all with a professional blackhead & blemish remover kit.

One of my favorite Internet Facebook friends (we met through a creeptastic Internet TROLL back in the day and bonded over a mutual love for all things makeup and skincare related), Brandi from Chicago, used the lactic acid peel and said:

“I did the lactic last week I’m doing the glycolic sun. It was pretty gentle. Only slight peeling on my chin not bad at all. Cleared my pores out like crazy! I passed it onto my mom bc I want something a bit more harsh…”

After trying the glycolic, she said:

“So I left it on for 2 mins for my first glycolic and am going to up it every week now. I haven’t peeled and my skin literally looks flawless. I was only red that night and haven’t peeled at all which I’m sure I will the longer I leave it on. I think I’m going to order a higher strength because I only got 30% to start so in going to increase my time for my next 2 and then move to a higher strength. My makeup even looks smoother. It’s insane. I’m loading on moisturizer at night before and after to prevent super dry skin but my skin is looking more even now which is great. You have me obsessed!”

Photo Evidence
I broke out HORRIBLY while vacationing in Costa Rica (I had to wear a hat every single day!) and had little marks ALL over my face. I looked like I was recovering from the chicken pox! After almost 2 months and at least 6 peels, I can finally leave the house without makeup!  WHOO HOO!

chemical peel before and after

Please note: the last photo looks unnaturally flawless because I took it in my bathroom, with amazingly flattering INDOOR light.  The first 2 photos are in unflattering OUTDOOR light.  I have no foundation on in any of the photos, and did not use a filter or enhance any of the images in anyway.  Although, I did have chapstick on in the last photo!  You can definitely see my progress. My skin looks pretty great in the middle photo, during afternoon outdoor daylight.

Overall, I feel like I definitely achieved in-office results at-home with ASDM Beverly Hills’ chemical peel line.

PLEASE write me and share your experience with ASDM’s products if you decide to give them a try! Also, do a better job of documenting your progress, because they will give you a free product if you take before/after photos and share them.

Lastly, be sure to use the promo code DISCOUNT15 for 15% off. If you have any trouble getting the discount, send them a simple email and they will correct your bill before they ship your order.

Comments:

1. Melissa McFadden says:

I seriously love it! I want to try both lactic and glycolic! I am torn between 30% and 50%!! THANK YOU VANESSA!

2. Not only do these products work, but are majorly majorly AFFORDABLE! Which after spending a significant portion of my income on makeup/skincare, I was shocked and nervous about the prices of these products because usually you get what you pay for. Not the case!!!! I personally started with a lactic for my first peel which i found to be very gentle and great for a first timer. Super easy to use and left me with a nice glow. I didn’t peel at all and have since moved onto glycolics which I’m completely obsessed with. Sunday nights are devoted to my skin obsession and I am nerdy and get excited to set up my bathroom with my stash and slather on my products. I’m a complete product junkie as I’ve been doing hair for about 10 years so I hoard products, samples, and an arsenal of everything you can think of and ASDM offers the best. I also bought the Rosehip oil from them and LOVE it!! My pores are looking smaller, my skin feels tighter and I’ve noticed that even in the cold winter we are having my skin has been less dry than normal since I’ve started my peels. I’m breaking out less and the little acne I’m having is manageable and disappears in half the time it was and isn’t leaving giant marks. In general my face feels brighter and clearer all around. Now if someone would just make a miracle product to get rid of the dark under eye circles that have taken a permanent residence on my face, I’d be set. Vanessa, YOU ARE THE BEST for finding this and my face and wallet thank you!!! Oh and their customer service is the (insert praising hands emoji) shiz.

3. If you use Retin-A daily…..and MUST use Retin-A daily, can you use these chemical peels at the same time?

• Consult your doctor. My doctor suggests stopping retin-a for a 2 days before and after a peel. I’m sure it depends on the strength of the peel.

4. Tonya Adams says:

I’ve been following your post today on lives of doctor wives. I’m ordering the glycolic peel and skin lightener. I have random burn scars from a salicylic peel and I’m really hoping this helps. Thanks for sharing!

5. I love the info on peels and I’ve been looking into starting a regimen. Please consider removing mention of TCA peels or adding a disclaimer to them- TCA is a known carcinogen! Not worth the risk when there are other options available.

• Thank You, Jeane. Great point! The International Agency for Research on Cancer stated that TCA is “probably carcinogenic to humans,” but there is “inadequate evidence” to say for sure. Either way, all of the options offered by ASDM Beverly Hills ARE safe and effective.

6. What kind of down time do you plan for after a peel? As in, how long before you can get face-to-face with the general public without looking red/peel-y etc?

• Vanessa says:

Hi Anne! Depends on the strength and how long you leave the peel on. For example, 2-3 minutes 30% glycolic on my mom and my brother’s girlfriend for 2-3 minutes resulted in no downtime for the first 2 times. If you do it progressively, and leave it on a minute longer each time, you won’t really have any downtime. You’ll lightly peel and will be able to exfoliate the dead skin off in the shower. However, 50% on my brother’s girlfriend left her looking a little crazy, red peeling monster for a week. She did a GREAT job of covering it up with mineral makeup and said it really improved the texture of her skin and made her acne scars less noticeable. I recommend starting off with 30% or 40% for 1-2 minutes the first time. So to answer your question, it depends on the strength of the peel. Is there a certain strength you have?

7. Kristin says:

Following from LDW. Thanks so much for this info! I’ve been looking into doing a peel at home, and this post made me brave enough to try it. I want to order the gylcolic acid and the salicylic acid. Just wondering how to use them together? Should I alternate them each week? Thanks!

• Vanessa says:

I will post later today what I did with glycolic and salicylic on my brother’s girlfriend with before/after photos. I did 2 minutes of glycolic, neutralized, then 2 minutes of salicylic and she peeled for a week, but the before and after photos show a marked improvement.

8. How do you neutralize the peel? I am starting to get brave and want to try this.

9. Tonya Adams says:

Hey! I’m a fellow ldw and remembered your site! Which peel (from asdm) would you use for melasma and acne scars, for acne prone skin? Thx!!!

Trackbacks

1. Asdm Beverly Hills Melasma 4 Serum 2oz

[…] ca (I had to wear a hat every single day!) and had little marks ALL over my face […]